(Some notes from my initial install of Ubuntu, backdated so they’re in the correct place.)
When attempting to install Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) on my laptop, I couldn’t get past the partitioning step: I’d get “Partman failed with exit code 10” or “Summary failed with exit code 141”. Apparently windows hibernation mode can cause some conflicts with partitioning…ugh. [That windows partition came in handy later though; I’m glad I didn’t delete it.]
– in windows, disable hibernation mode to delete hiberfil.sys.
– reboot & make sure it’s gone. ;)
– defrag C:
– run chkdsk on C: (required a reboot; chkdsk ran at reboot)
– run chkdsk on C: a second time (annoying!)
– boot from Ubuntu CD & install.